There are two ways to turn on Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) for a single AirPod, depending on your AirPods model and iPhone/iPad settings:
Method 1: Using Accessibility Settings (For AirPods Pro and AirPods Max)
- Connect your AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > AirPods.
- Under “Noise Control,” toggle on the switch next to “Noise Cancellation with One AirPod.”
Method 2: Using Force Sensor (For AirPods Pro only)
- Put on your AirPods Pro and make sure they’re connected to your iPhone or iPad.
- Press and hold the force sensor on the stem of the AirPod you want to activate ANC for.
- Cycle through the available noise control modes (Off, Noise Cancellation, Transparency) by holding the force sensor until you hear the desired sound.
- The “Noise Cancellation with One AirPod” setting only works on AirPods Pro and AirPods Max, not on regular AirPods.
- This setting allows you to use ANC on just one AirPod while keeping the other one in Transparency mode, letting you hear your surroundings when needed.
- If you don’t see the “Noise Cancellation with One AirPod” option, make sure your AirPods are updated to the latest firmware.
Here are some additional tips for using ANC with AirPods:
- ANC can drain the battery faster, so keep that in mind when using it on a single AirPod.
- The effectiveness of ANC can vary depending on your environment and how well the AirPods fit in your ears.
- If you’re having trouble activating ANC, try resetting your AirPods by placing them in the charging case with the lid open and pressing and holding the setup button for 15 seconds.